The University is accredited as a degree-granting institution by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Schools' programs are accredited by appropriate accrediting agencies, and graduates are eligible to take qualifying examinations of the respective state and national licensing or registration bodies and to join professional organizations. Details of accreditations are given in the individual programs and in Section VI of this CATALOG.
Founded as the College of Evangelists in 1905-06, the University was chartered as College of Medical Evangelists by the state of California on December 13, 1909, and was accredited by Northwest Association of Secondary and Higher Schools on April 7, 1937. Accredited by WASC (prior to January 1962, Western College Association) on February 24, 1960, it became Loma Linda University on July 1, 1961.
Loma Linda University is fully accredited by WSCUC, which may be contacted at:
WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
1080 Marina Village Parkway, Suite 500
Alameda, CA 94501
WSCUC is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Loma Linda University is also accredited by the Adventist Accrediting Association (AAA) of the Seventh-day Adventist Church Department of Education.
In addition to WSCUC and AAA, the following organizations accredit specific University schools or programs:
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE)
- Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
- Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA)
- American Registry of Radiologic Technology (ARRT)
- Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
- Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC)
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE)
- Commission on Accreditation (CoA) of the American Psychological Association (APA)
- Commission on Accreditation (COA) of the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) of the American Dental Association (ADA)
- Committee composed of the American Society of Cytopathology (ASC), College of American Pathologists (CAP), American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), and American Society of Cytotechnology (ASCT), in collaboration with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Council on Accreditation (COA) of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
- Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS), in collaboration with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT)
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association (AMA)
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
- National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE), in collaboration with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
The following organizations also approve specific University schools or programs:
- Approval Committee for Certificate Programs (ACCP), a joint committee established by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) and the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Laboratory Field Services (LFS)
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Radiologic Health Branch (RHB)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
- Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)
For a current list of accrediting agencies, please contact the Office of the Provost.