Standard-term registration dates are published on the Web at For programs that do not operate on standard-term dates, visit the Registration Portal for specific registration dates and deadlines per student, since these dates may vary depending on where students are in their programs. Deadlines for courses taught in a condensed or extended format may differ from standard terms or program deadlines.  Course-specific deadlines may be found in the course schedule at by selecting a course and clicking on the Important Dates link. Posted deadlines for registration on the Web and in the Registration Portal are in effect and binding.

Students register online using their Registration Portal. Registration procedure includes addressing Action Items, signing up for courses, and clearing finance. Upon completion of their first registration, students must obtain an ID card at the University Office of Student Experience. All future interactions in the Student Services Center will require presentation of a valid student ID card.

A late registration period of seven business days is provided for standard-term programs. If the course is offered in an intensive format, registration may be required before the end of the seven days. A late registration fee of $200 will be charged during these seven business days for standard-term courses.

Students may not attend class without being registered. No credit is granted for academic work performed during any term without registration.

Change in registration

A change in registration requires reversal of financial clearance in the Registration Portal if (1) financial clearance has been obtained and (2) registration is still open for the student's program. Students have until 11:59 p.m. PST (Pacific Standard Time) the following day, or until the end of registration—whichever is earlier—to complete registration changes and to request financial clearance again. If financial clearance is not obtained by the end of the following day, any changes made in the Registration Portal will be reversed. Students are advised of this process via their LLU email account.

A student may add courses that follow the standard-term University calendar during the first seven calendar days of the quarter. Courses that follow the standard-term University calendar may be dropped during the first 14 days of the quarter without academic penalty. Standard-term course changes after the 14th day of the quarter affect the permanent grade record with a "W" indicating withdrawal. Students may withdraw from a standard-term course prior to 14 calendar days before the final examination week, after which withdrawals are no longer permitted.

Independent study

Independent study may be undertaken subject to the consent of the department chair and/or the office of the dean of the student's school. The student is responsible for completion of the Independent Study Plan (ISP) form in addition to the regular registration. University policy limits directed study to 12 quarter units of undergraduate credit and 8 units of graduate credit in a degree program. Individual programs may further limit these units. The office of the dean of the student's school should be consulted regarding limits on independent study credit earned. Independent study is to be completed in adequate time before graduation to allow recording in the Office of University Records.

Study load

Usually an academic study load is defined in terms of credit units.

Time Status Undergraduate Graduate
Full-time At least 12 units At least 8 unit
Three-quarter time 9 – 11.5 units 6 – 7.5 units
Half-time 6 – 8.5 units 4 – 5.5 units
Less than half-time 0 – 5.5 units 0 – 3.5 units

The normal course load, including all coursework for which a student may be registered at this or another institution, is 16 quarter units for an undergraduate student and 12 quarter units for a graduate student. Full-time study loads are those specified by the departments for each program. Students of exceptional ability may register for additional coursework upon recommendation of the department and consent of the dean.

A person who is not enrolled in regular courses but who is occupied in research, dissertation, or thesis, is classified as a student. By filing an academic load validation form every quarter at registration, the academic load may be validated for loan deferment and for living expenses for aid-eligible students or to maintain immigration status for international students.

The faculty mentor who is primarily responsible for the student’s research is required to sign the load validation form (electronic workflow) verifying that the student will be working on their research, thesis, or dissertation for a minimum of 18 hours per week (half-time status) or a minimum of 36 hours per week (full-time status). This is a projection each quarter. Before signing the load validation form for the current quarter, the faculty mentor must determine that the student indeed qualified for load validation in the previous quarter.


Regular attendance at all appointments (class, clinic, laboratory, and University at Worship) is required beginning with the first day of each term. A pattern of absence—excused and/or unexcused—will be referred to the school's designated academic authority for consideration and action.

Excused absences are defined as follow:

  • Illness, verified by a physician's statement or official statement from Student Health Service submitted to the school's designated academic authority.
  • Participation in an institution-sponsored activity (verified by a written statement from a faculty sponsor).
  • Recognizable emergency approved by the school's designated academic authority.

Tardiness is disruptive, distracting, and inconsistent with professional behavior. Students who arrive after the beginning of class may be counted absent.

Information regarding the school's designated academic authority can be obtained from the office of the dean.

Continuous enrollment

A student who has not enrolled for any courses, or paid the continuous registration fee for courses still in progress from a previous term, will be inactivated at the beginning of the second quarter of non-enrollment, unless they are on an approved leave of absence (maximum of four academic quarters, including Summer Quarter). For example, a student who enrolled for Autumn Quarter, but who does not enroll for Winter Quarter, will be inactivated at the close of registration (two weeks into the quarter) for the subsequent Spring Quarter.

Inactivated or formally withdrawn students who wish to return to complete their degree programs are required to reapply with sufficient time for adequate review of any new transcript credits and advisement of any new program requirements.

The reapplication process also requires the submission of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended since the student last attended this University. Official transcripts from colleges/universities the student attended while enrolled at this University must also be submitted if they were not submitted prior to inactivation.

Students who reapply to a program are subject to the program requirements published in the CATALOG in effect at the time of re-entry. All graduates are expected to have documented current knowledge in their fields of study as of the date of graduation (date on diploma).

Personal leave of absence

A leave of absence is defined as being away from school for the remainder of the quarter, to a maximum of one year, with the intent to return. The appropriate program withdrawal form is an online workflow. This form is to be approved by the dean or their designee prior to the student's departure. Stipulations for re-entry are given to the student in writing. The student should consult the office of the dean of their school regarding the possibility of maintaining health coverage.


To withdraw from a course(s), the student must complete an Add/Drop Registration form. If a student finds it necessary to withdraw from a degree or certificate program, the dean (or their designee) must be notified in writing. The student then arranges for formal withdrawal from the program by filing a Program Withdrawal form, which is a workflow available on the University website. The Program Withdrawal form and/or the Add/Drop Registration form should be completed as soon as possible after the student determines that they cannot complete the quarter. These forms must be filed no later than 14 days prior to the end of the quarter.

Courses dropped during the first two weeks of the term are not included in the student's permanent record.

If a student is discontinuing the entire program, the date the Program Withdrawal form is properly submitted to the Office of University Records will be the date of withdrawal used to calculate tuition refunds. Tuition is refunded according to the practice outlined in the Financial Information section of this CATALOG. Failure to file the Program Withdrawal form may result in unavoidable charges to the student's account. The tuition refund policy for off-campus students is listed under the applicable school in this CATALOG.

Administrative withdrawal

Students who fail to make arrangements for a leave of absence or continuing registration may be administratively withdrawn from school. After one quarter, if the student has not re-enrolled, their status with the University will be changed to inactivated.

Privacy rights of students in academic records

Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students have full rights of privacy with regard to their academic records, including their grade reports. Grades are available to students online.

The campus is authorized under FERPA to release directory information concerning students. The University has classified the following as student directory information that may be released: name, address (permanent and local), picture, marital status, birth date, school, program, class, previous college, and telephone number—unless the student specifically requests in writing that the information not be released. Directory information will be released only by the academic dean's office of the school in which the student is enrolled. Requests for directory information received by other offices of the University will be transferred to the appropriate school office. The complete FERPA policy may be found in the Student Handbook.