Personal qualities

Loma Linda University was established to provide professional health education in a Christian environment, preparing well-qualified, dedicated health-science professionals committed to fulfilling the mission of the university to serve humanity. Students at Loma Linda University are expected to uphold the Christian ethical and moral standards of this Seventh-day Adventist Church-related institution while on and off campus.

The University's emphasis on health and the health professions, as well as the practices of the supporting church, preclude admission of applicants who use tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or narcotics. The rights of the individual are recognized and respected; however, any conduct that is contrary to the principles governing a healthful and moral lifestyle is not acceptable for a Loma Linda University student. The prospective student has the freedom to accept or reject these principles and practices prior to applying. Once application is made to this university, the applicant has chosen to abide by these principles and practices.

In selecting students for entrance to programs in the schools, admissions committees look for evidence of personal integrity, academic achievement, healthful lifestyle, self-discipline, self-direction, and service to others. An applicant accepted to a school must possess capabilities to complete the full curriculum in the allotted time at the levels of competence required.

While preference is given to Seventh-day Adventist Church members, anyone interested in studying at Loma Linda University and willing to live by the institution's standards is encouraged to apply.

Many programs require faculty interviews. Acceptance of an applicant into any curriculum is contingent upon the recommendation of the department conducting the program.

Applications and admissions

Where to apply

It is important to know the specifics of the application process and to begin this process well in advance of the date of anticipated or desired entrance. Application procedures and application materials can be found online at

Application review process

All completed applications are reviewed by the appropriate admissions committee, which recommends the final decision regarding acceptance.

Applicant's records

The application and all supporting records and documents become the property of the University.

Application deferral

Applicants are accepted for a specified entering term. If the applicant does not enter the program at the time stated for admission, the application will become inactive unless the school receives a written request to defer the application. Not all programs permit an applicant to defer an application; however, for those programs for which this is permitted, an application may not be deferred for more than one year. After one year, a new application must be submitted. Accepted applicants who wish to reactivate their acceptances at a later date must apply to the school for reactivation. Previous acceptance does not guarantee acceptance at a later time. Individuals must meet admission and graduation requirements that are in effect for the school year during which they first register.


See Continuous enrollment policy.

Combined degree programs

Information regarding combined degree programs, their curricula, pre-entry requirements, distribution of instruction, graduation requirements, finances, and additional information may be obtained from the school and program directors responsible for the programs. Options are found in the combined degrees section of the catalog.

Admissions classifications

Applicants are admitted under one of three classifications and must be approved for acceptance by the department(s) in which they propose to do their major concentration. Acceptance into a specific program is required before any credit earned can be applied to a degree or certificate.


Regular status is given to a student who has met all entrance requirements and is registered for a standard course of study leading toward a degree or certificate in one of the schools of the University.


Provisional status may be given to a student who has been accepted for admission but has not yet received regular status, either because of qualitative or quantitative deficiencies in the academic record.


Nondegree status may be granted to a student who has not been admitted to a degree or certificate program, but who is registered for selected courses in one of the schools of the University. Nondegree students are limited to a total of 12 units (cumulative) of courses that are applicable to a degree program at this University.

The following components of the application process are university admission requirements.  Additional school and program specific admission requirements may be found in the program-specific pages of this catalog.

Online application

The LLU application is only available online and can be found at

Letters of recommendation

Three letters of recommendation are required.  Some programs specify individuals from whom these recommendations should come.  For programs requiring specific recommenders, information can be found on the respective program pages of this catalog.

Official transcripts

The University accepts only official transcripts sent directly to Loma Linda University from the college, university, or high school issuing it or approved Centralized Application Service (CAS). Transcripts submitted by the student are not considered official.

Applicants not applying through a central application service (e.g., AAMCAS, AADSAS, OTCAS, CASPA) must provide a complete academic history prior to offers of admission. International applicants (non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents) must meet all admission requirements for the chosen program before an offer of acceptance can be issued, whether or not the program uses a central application service. Official final transcripts documenting completion of all coursework must be submitted to the University immediately upon completion.

To be considered for admissions, all applicants are required to self-certify that they have received a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent. Recognized equivalents of a high school diploma are a GED certificate; a high school equivalency certificate (such as TASC, HiSET, CHSPE); an associate degree or higher; or successful completion of at least 72 quarter credits (60 semester credits) that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree.

A high school transcript is required if it contains coursework that fulfills any admissions requirements. The high school transcript (or other recognized equivalent) may also be required if a program’s accrediting agency or state licensing agency requires it, conflicting information is discovered, or to support financial aid eligibility. Individuals will be notified if they need to furnish a high school transcript,

Completion of projected coursework and/or degree at the time of acceptance must be verified by the school admissions office prior to enrollment; followed by official transcripts received at the time these requirements are completed, but not later than the end of the first term of enrollment.

Degrees must be earned from a degree-granting college or university accredited by an association recognized by a U.S. Department of Education or  Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), including those institutions which have been awarded “candidacy” status by a U.S.  accrediting body during the period the institution held this status, or earned at an international institution recognized as a degree-granting institution by its government. Continuing enrollment is contingent upon the receipt of all official final transcripts.

Applicants who have attended international schools are required to submit official transcripts (mark sheets) in the original language, which convey the grades and credits earned in each subject; and an English translation of their transcripts, if not already in English.

Official education transcripts (or mark sheets), degrees earned from international institutions, or professional credentials must be sent to an evaluation center approved by Loma Linda University. The specified center reports the evaluation results directly to the Office of University Admissions.

Transcripts and evaluation results received by the university become the property of the university and will not be released to the student or forwarded to any other institution.

English proficiency

Regardless of nationality or citizenship, an applicant whose native language is not English or whose secondary education has been obtained outside the U.S. is required to pass an approved test of English proficiency. Additionally, any applicant whose English competency is uncertain in regards to their professional success at Loma Linda University may be required to pass a test of English proficiency. The minimum required score for each of the following tests is:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – 6.5
  • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) – 77
  • Pearson Test of English-Academic (PTE Academic) – 60
  • International Test of English Proficiency, Academic-Plus (iTEP Academic-Plus) – 3.5
  • Duolingo English Test (DET) – 105
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), internet-based – 80
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), paper-based – 550

The TOEFL score is valid for two years from the test date. If it has been more than two years since the examinee last took TOEFL, the test must be taken again to have the scores reported. Visit the TOEFL website at for the most up-to-date information and examination registration.

Health care

Operating under Loma Linda University Health, the Center for Health Promotion's Student Health Service is committed to providing quality health care to the students within the University community. The providers and staff are dedicated to promoting a lifestyle that encourages a balance of physical, spiritual, emotional, and social well-being.

For needs that arise while a student is enrolled at Loma Linda University, Student Health Service is the primary source of care. Potential students should complete any routine medical and dental care and/or elective surgery needs prior to arriving on campus.

Immunization requirements

As a health sciences institution, Loma Linda University is dedicated to the health and welfare of students, professors, health-care workers, and community members. Because of this, students are required to be vaccinated for certain infectious diseases. In order to complete registration for the first academic term, students must provide evidence in the form of physician records or college health service records, proving they have met immunization requirements. Students without proper verification will be required to receive appropriate vaccinations.

Pre-entrance health requirements

The pre-entrance requirements may be found on the Student Health Service website under the New Student section. Students are also required to have certain vaccinations repeated at various intervals during their enrollment. In addition, titers documenting immunity to hepatitis B, varicella, and MMR are recommended. Some University schools may require certain titers.

  1. Measles, Mumps, Rubella: two immunizations or proof of immunity.
  2. Tetanus (Td)/Pertussis: documentation of Tdap in the past 10 years, OR Td in the past 10 years AND one dose of Tdap after age 18.
  3. Hepatitis B (series of three immunizations). Nonresponders will be revaccinated.
  4. Tuberculosis skin test (PPD Mantoux) or an IGRA (Interferon Gamma Release Assay), including Quantiferon or T-spot: current within 6 months (if a student tests positive, a chest x-ray report within the past year is required, and an annual Signs and Symptoms Form must be completed).
  5. Varicella: Students must show proof of either a series of two injections OR a positive Varicella titer.

The Pre-entrance Health Requirements form for new students is available at In order to register or attend classes, a completed form with all the required documentation should be submitted at least three weeks prior to the beginning of registration.

Some programs require official pre-entrance examination results. Specific instructions are available online.

For further information, visit the Student Health Service website or contact Student Health Service at 909/558-8770. For additional information on the communicable diseases policy, consult the Student Handbook, University Policies: Communicable Disease Transmission Prevention.

Background check

After students are accepted and confirmed, they will receive a link on their New Student Portal that will allow them to get a required university-specific background check. Other background checks will not be accepted.


Upon admission into a degree program, each student is assigned an academic advisor who serves as the student's first line of communication in addressing professional and personal successes and potential challenges.

Academic advisors are prepared to discuss career opportunities, academic policies, academic problems, curricula, and personal circumstances.

It is the student's responsibility to consult with their advisor in planning the program of study. Thereafter, advisees should schedule counseling sessions with their advisors to monitor progress and assure completion of degree requirements. When questions arise relating to curriculum or policy requirements, students should always refer first to the catalog and their own program curriculum outlines. Next, they may seek counsel from their academic advisor. Questions arising after discussion with the advisor should be referred to the department chair or the academic dean.

Orientation and advisement sessions are scheduled for all new students. These sessions provide general guidance regarding student services, health care, library resources, safety and security, registration procedures, and academic policies.

International applicants (non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. permanent residents) must meet all admissions requirements for the chosen program before an offer of acceptance can be issued. This includes all official postsecondary transcripts (or mark sheets) and degree certificates, official evaluations of non-U.S. coursework, English proficiency, and admission examination requirements, as detailed below.

After acceptance into the chosen program, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services will contact international applicants and guide them through the appropriate procedures for obtaining student visas, which include providing evidence of their financial ability to meet estimated living expenses and all financial obligations to the University that will occur during their programs. For questions, please contact International Student and Scholar Services at 909/558-4955.

Pre-entrance examination results

All official pre-entrance test scores (e.g., TOEFL, GRE) as required by each program must be sent directly to the Office of University Admissions by the testing organization.

International evaluations

All international (non-U.S.) transcripts, including high school, must be submitted to one of the LLU-approved evaluation services. See for a list of approved companies.

Finances and employment

United States immigration regulations and Loma Linda University require that international students must be prepared to provide an advance deposit as well as documentation that additional funds will be forthcoming to meet school expenses. The deposit will be held by the University during the program of study and will be applied to the last quarter's tuition charge. Alternatively, the deposit may be refunded, less any outstanding balance on the account, if the student is denied a visa or terminates their program.

Scholarships and assistantships for international students are scarce. The student should contact the Loma Linda University Financial Aid office and speak with a financial aid advisor regarding availability and application information.

F- and J-visa international students must obtain written authorization from International Student and Scholar Services before accepting any on-campus employment. Off-campus employment requires prior issue of a work permit by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. F- and J-visa students must limit their employment to 20 or fewer hours per week while registered for courses and while classes are in session. Regulations allow full-time work (40 hours or fewer per week) during school breaks and summer vacations (if a student's program allows summer quarters off). For questions, please call International Student and Scholar Services at 909/558-4955.


F-1 student visas

Loma Linda University is authorized by the United States Department of Homeland Security to issue F-visa applications (i.e., I-20 forms). The F-1 student visa is the visa of choice for most international students coming to Loma Linda University. This visa allows some non-degree study (certificates and internships). Degree-earning students are subject to study load requirements and are allowed limited on-campus employment.

The I-20 is issued after a student has:

  • Been accepted into a program and all official transcripts (mark sheets) have been appropriately evaluated and received by the University;
  • Paid the advance deposit, as required by their program;
  • Documented their financial plan for the chosen program.

International Student and Scholar Services can be contacted at 909/558-4955 for further information regarding the F-1 student visa and regulations governing this visa.

J-visa exchange program

Loma Linda University has an approved exchange visitor program under the United States Department of State. This J-visa exchange program is authorized to sponsor/host degree-earning students, non-degree (continuing education) students, student interns, short-term scholars, visiting professors, and research scholars. The J-visa application form (DS-2019) is issued after an exchange visitor has been accepted into a program, scholar position, or professor position—and documented their financial plan (including health insurance for the J-1 and all J-2 dependents).

Loma Linda University also hosts exchange visitors who are sponsored by other organizations (e.g., Fulbright scholars). As a hosting institution, Loma Linda University has limited authority over these exchange visitors since the authority resides with the sponsoring organization.

Under current exchange visitor regulations, J-2 dependents are allowed to enroll part or full time at Loma Linda University. Also, their credits earned can either be degree or non-degree applicable.

J-1 exchange visitors are allowed to work—but employment guidelines differ, depending on the exchange category. Contact International Student and Scholar Services at 909/558-4955 for further information and regulations governing the exchange visitor program.

Other visas

International students may enter the U.S. on a wide variety of visas. However, a visa may have to be changed before a student can commence academic studies at this University. For further information regarding regulations and study options for specific visa types, contact International Student and Scholar Services at 909/558-4955.

Transfer students

International students currently attending other schools in the United States, who have either an I-20 or a DS-2019 and who wish to attend Loma Linda University, must complete a school-to-school transfer. The timing of a transfer is critical in order to maintain visa status; therefore, it is important to consult with an international advisor at each school as soon as the acceptance letter is received.

Study load

Both the F and J student visa regulations require the successful completion of a full study load during each quarter of every academic year (as defined by each program). A minimum of 12 units per quarter is usually considered full time for an undergraduate program; eight units per quarter are considered full time for a graduate program. In any quarter in which there will be a reduced study load, prior approval is needed from an international student advisor in International Student and Scholar Services.