Academic Policies and Information

Students of the University are responsible for informing themselves of and satisfactorily meeting all regulations pertinent to registration, matriculation, and graduation. In this section (Section II) are the University regulations. See Section III for regulations that pertain to each school and program.

Academic residence

A student must meet the residence requirements indicated for a particular degree or certificate.

Academic standing

The following classifications are based on scholastic performance, as defined by each school within the University: regular standing or academic probation.

Catalog in effect for degree requirements

Subject to department approval, students may complete degree requirements outlined in any CATALOG in effect during the time they are enrolled as accepted students in a school. However, students who have been on leave of absence for more than one year, or who failed to register without leave of absence (consult office of the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled regarding number of quarters), may be required to re-enter the program under the CATALOG in effect at the time of re-entry, with the exception of students who are on leave from a school to pursue a medical or dental degree at this University. Such students may complete their program under their original CATALOG.

Academic service learning

Academic service learning is an education practice that takes learning into the community.  A reciprocal relationship develops as students work with the community to identify a focus area and implement a project.  Connecting classroom curriculum with community needs deepens students’ engagement in the community while enabling them to develop mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional capacities.  Involvement engages students in critical thinking, community relationship building, practical action, leadership, and reflection useful in their professional life.

All students under the 2018-2019 CATALOG and beyond are required to complete an approved academic service-learning course prior to graduation.  Courses currently approved to meet this requirement are as follows: 

School of Allied Health Professions
AHCJ 328Wholeness Portfolio I1
AHCJ 494Senior Portfolio II3
AHCJ 519Graduate Wholeness Portfolio1
AHCJ 721Wholeness Portfolio I1
CLSM 105Procedures in Phlebotomy4
CMSD 588Educational Fieldwork II8
DTCS 304Community Nutrition4
OCTH 702Service Learning I1,3
ORPR 540Rehabilitative Care in Developing Nations3
ORPR 522Self-Care Portfolio and Community Outreach.5
PAST 572Cultural Immersion for Physician Assistants3
PTAS 265Professional Seminar1
RTMR 344Professional Development and Service Learning3
RTRS 614Professional Portfolio1
School of Behavioral Health
CHLS 505Cross-Cultural Perspectives in Health Care3
School of Dentistry
DNES 200Curricular Practical Training0
DNES 500Curricular Practical Training0
DNES 504Curricular Practical Training for IDP0
School of Medicine
IBGS 525Translational Research Training2
MDCJ 821Preventive Medicine and Population Health1.5-6
School of Nursing
NGRD 654Social Determinants of Health4
NRSG 415Community Mental Health Nursing4
NRSG 416LPublic Health Nursing Clinical Laboratory4
NRSG 434Public Health Nursing Laboratory for the Working RN3
School of Pharmacy
RXRX 704Professional Development1
School of Public Health
GLBH 545Integrated Community Development4
GLBH 565Interventions in Community Health and Development I3
GLBH 567Interventions in Community Health and Development II3
GLBH 569Interventions in Community Health and Development III3
HADM 586Building Healthy Communities: Integrative Health Policy3
HPRO 537ACommunity Programs Laboratory—A2
HPRO 537BCommunity Programs Laboratory—B2
HPRO 537CCommunity Programs Laboratory—C1
School of Religion
RELG 510Christian Service1,2
RELR 404Christian Service1,2
RELR 447AService Learning Practicum–International Project1
RELR 540Wholeness and Health3
RELT 534AService Learning Practicum–International Project1
RELT 534BService Learning Practicum–USA Project1

Course numbers

Courses are numbered as:

001-099 nondegree-applicable credit
101-299 lower division
301-499 upper division
501-599 graduate
601-699 graduate: seminar, research, thesis, or dissertation
701-899 professional or clinical
901-999 extension with credit; continuing education units, if preceded by letter prefix ending with "CE" (e.g., ASCE 916); without academic credit; or undergraduate certificate clinical affiliation/practicum courses

500-level course work may not apply toward a baccalaureate degree unless the instructor approves it and both deans (dean of the school offering the course and dean of the school in which the student is enrolled) give permission, and provided the credit does not apply toward both an undergraduate and a graduate degree. Approval is not needed if the course is part of a coordinated program.

No courses numbered in the 700s, 800s, or 900s may apply toward a baccalaureate degree.

Grade change

Faculty members are responsible for evaluating and assigning grades. A grade may not be changed except when an error has been made in arriving at or recording a grade. Such changes are permissible up to the end of the succeeding term.

The faculty member must obtain the dean's signature on the change of grade form after the initial grade has been entered.

Privacy rights of students in academic records

Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students have full rights of privacy with regard to their academic records, including their grade reports. Grades are available to students online at <>.

The campus is authorized under FERPA to release directory information concerning students. The University has classified the following as student directory information that may be released: name, address (permanent and local), picture, marital status, birth date, school, program, class, previous college, and telephone number—unless the student specifically requests in writing that the information not be released. Directory information will be released only by the academic dean's office of the school in which the student is enrolled. Requests for directory information received by other offices of the University will be transferred to the appropriate school office.

Repeating a course

Once grades have been posted for a course, a student wishing to improve his/her grade must repeat the course. When repeating a course, the student must attend class and laboratory sessions as ordinarily required and take all regularly scheduled examinations. The amount of tuition paid for repeated courses is determined by the school. Both the original and the repeat grades will appear on the student's permanent record, but only the repeat grade is computed in the G.P.A. and included in the total units earned. A student may repeat a course only once, and no more than two courses may be repeated in a student's degree program.


The University provides Loma Linda University transcripts to other institutions or to the student or graduate only upon written request of the student or graduate.

The University reserves the right to withhold all information concerning the record of any student who is in arrears in the payment of accounts or other charges, including student loans. No transcripts will be issued until all of the student's financial obligations to the University as defined in this CATALOG have been met.

Scholastic standing

Grades and grade points

The following grades and grade points are used in this University. Each course taught in the schools has been approved for either a letter grade and/or an S/U grade.

A 4.0 Outstanding performance.
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0 Very good performance for undergraduate credit; satisfactory performance for graduate credit.
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0 Satisfactory performance for undergraduate credit. Minimum performance for which credit is granted toward a degree in the School of Nursing or the School of Allied Health Professions.
C- 1.7 Minimum performance for which credit is granted toward a degree in the School of Dentistry, the School of Pharmacy, or the School of Public Health.
D+ 1.3
D 1.0 Minimum performance for which undergraduate credit is granted, except as indicated above.
F 0.0 Failure—given when course work was attempted but when minimum performance was not met.
FA/UA 0.0 Failure to attend (U/A for S/U graded courses)—given when a student discontinues attendance without withdrawing. Last date attended is to be noted on instructor grade report.
S none Satisfactory performance—counted toward graduation. Equivalent to a C grade or better in undergraduate courses, or a B grade or better in graduate courses. An S grade is not computed in the grade point average. A student may request a grade of S in only a limited amount of course work, as determined by the school in which the student is enrolled. This is done by the student's filing with the Office of University Records the appropriate form prior to fourteen calendar days before the final examination week. Once filed, the grade is not subject to change.
U none Unsatisfactory performance—given only when performance for an S-specified course falls below a C grade level in an undergraduate course or a B grade level in a graduate course. Similar filing procedures as given for S grade above are required. The U grade is not computed in the grade point average.
S/N none Satisfactory performance in a clock-hour course. Not included in total units. Same grading criteria as the S grade given for a credit-hour course.
U/N none Unsatisfactory performance in a clock-hour course. Not included in total units. Same grading criteria as the U grade given for a credit-hour course.
CR none Credit for credit by examination. Counted toward graduation/units earned but not units attempted. Such credit cannot be counted for financial aid purposes.
NC none No credit for credit by examination. Does not count for any purpose.
W Withdrawal—given for withdrawal from a course prior to fourteen calendar days before the final examination week for standard-term courses. Withdrawals during the first fourteen calendar days of a quarter or the first seven calendar days of a five-week summer session are not recorded if the student files with the Office of University Records the appropriate form prior to the cut-off date. Withdrawals outside this time frame, upon recommendation of the dean, may be removed at the discretion of the vice president for academic affairs. In the case of nontraditionally scheduled courses, a W notation will be given for withdrawal from a course prior to completion of 80 percent of the course, excluding the final examination period. Withdrawals during the first 20 percent of a course, excluding the final examination period, are not recorded if the student files with the Office of University Records the appropriate form prior to the date when 20 percent of the course is completed. A student may withdraw only once from a named cognate course that s/he is failing at the time of withdrawal.
UW Unofficial Withdrawal—indicates that the student discontinued class attendance after the close of registration but failed to withdraw officially.
I Incomplete—given when the majority of the course work has been completed and circumstances beyond a student's control result in the student being unable to complete the quarter. An I notation may be changed to a grade only by the instructor before the end of the following term (excluding summer sessions for those not in attendance during that term). Incomplete units are not calculated in the grade point average. By use of the petition form—available online at <>--the student requests an I notation from the instructor, stating the reason for the request and obtaining the signatures of the instructor, the department chair, and the associate dean. The instructor reports the I notation on the grade report form, as well as the grade the student will receive if the deficiency is not removed within the time limit. The petition form is then filed with the Office of University Records along with the grade report form. The I notation is not granted as a remedy for overload, failure on final examination, absence from final examination for other than an emergency situation, or a low grade to be raised with extra work.
IP In Progress—indicates that the course has a duration of more than a single term and will be completed by the student no later than the final term of the course, not to exceed five quarters for independent study and research courses (original quarter of registration plus four additional quarters). The student's final grade will be reported on the instructor's grade report at the end of the term in which the course is completed. If the course work is not completed within the five-quarter time limit, a grade of UW will be given.
AU Audit—indicates registration for attendance only, with 80 percent class attendance considered a requirement. A request to change a credit course to audit or an audit course to credit may be made no later than the fourteenth calendar day after the beginning of a quarter, or the seventh calendar day after the beginning of the five-week summer session. (This does not apply to short summer courses lasting only a week or two.)
AUW Audit Withdrawal—given for withdrawing from a course, or to indicate that the 80 percent class attendance requirement was not met.

Student level

Students enrolled in block programs are classified according to the level of the block in which they are enrolled (e.g., master's-1st, -2nd, or -3rd year; or freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, as is appropriate for the degree program; or PY1 [professional year 1]).

Undergraduate students enrolled in nonblock programs are classified based on the transfer credits accepted that fulfill LLU degree requirements at the time of matriculation.  Subsequent updates to classifications will include units earned at LLU.  Undergraduate classifications are as follows:

0 - 44.9 quarter units Freshman
45 - 89.9 quarter units Sophomore
90 - 134.9 quarter units Junior
135+ quarter units Senior

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP), a national program of credit by examination, offers persons of all ages and backgrounds new opportunities to obtain recognition for college-level achievement, no matter how acquired.

As of July 2001, general examinations are no longer offered; however, the policy remains in effect for students who took general examinations prior to that date. No credit is granted for the CLEP general examinations in English composition, mathematics, or science courses requiring a laboratory.

As of July 1, 2004, in order to receive Loma Linda University credit, students must complete all examinations for CLEP credit within six months after having received their initial degree compliance report. A student will be allowed to challenge a given course by examination only once. CLEP scores will be accepted at C or better until percentiles are available from CLEP. Credit is granted for scores at or above the 50th percentile for the subject examinations, and at the 65th percentile for general examinations in the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences/history.

Course waiver

Certain course requirements in a program may be waived on the basis of previously completed course work, experience, or licensure. An examination for waiver credit, if required, may be taken only once and must be taken before the last quarter of the program of study. Waiver of a specific course requirement does not reduce the number of units required for a program or residency. A waiver examination does not carry academic credit and cannot be used to make up for a course in which an unsatisfactory grade was received. For examination fee, see Schedule of Charges in the Financial Information section.

Permission to waive a course requirement in the School of Pharmacy requires prior approval of the department chair and consent of the dean.

Credit by examination

For certain courses offered by the University, a student in an undergraduate degree program may earn credit by passing an equivalency examination administered by the appropriate school and department. Such an examination is at least equal in scope and difficulty to a final examination in the course and may include materials supplied by CLEP or other agencies.

A graduate program should be used to acquire new knowledge. Since the purpose of credit by examination is to validate prior knowledge, graduate credit may not be earned by examination. If a required course in the degree program is a repeat of prior learning, the student may request a waiver, thus making it possible to take elective courses that would increase knowledge.

A student currently enrolled in a degree program at this University who desires credit by equivalency examination petitions the dean of the school offering the course, and, upon approval, pays a testing fee. See Schedule of Charges in the Financial Information section for examination fee.

Equivalency examinations may not duplicate credit already earned through course work, including courses taken for audit.

A grade of CR (Credit) is given only after the student has completed one quarter, or the equivalent, at this University; and has earned 12 units of credit with a grade point average of at least 2.0 in undergraduate courses.

Units earned by equivalency may not be used as part of the enrolled load.

Equivalency examinations must be taken before the final quarter of residency.

The maximum amount of credit that may be earned by equivalency examination is determined by each school but may not exceed a maximum of 20 percent of the units required for the degree or certificate.

Extension study

To be acceptable for credit, an extension course must be evaluated as to its equivalence to an accepted course. To assure that the course will transfer to Loma Linda University, the student should contact the Office of University Records prior to taking the course. Registration for extension study requires prior approval of the department chair and consent of the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled.

Independent study

Independent study may be undertaken subject to the consent of the department chair and/or the office of the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled. The student is responsible for completion of the Directed/Independent Study Title Request form in addition to the regular registration. University policy limits directed study to 12 quarter units of undergraduate credit and 8 units of graduate credit in a degree program. Individual programs may further limit these units. The office of the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled should be consulted regarding limits on credit earned through independent study. Independent study is to be completed in adequate time before graduation to allow recording in the Office of University Records.

Transfer credit

Applicants must file with the Office of University Admissions complete records of all studies taken on the college/university level. Transfer credit is defined as credit completed at another college or university accredited by a U.S. regional association (including all regularly transferable credit earned from a degree-granting institution awarded "candidacy" status by its regional accrediting body during the period the institution held this status), credit earned at an institution accredited by the Seventh-day Adventist educational system, or credit earned at an international institution recognized by its government. The University reserves the right to require an applicant to satisfactorily complete written and/or practical examinations in any course for which transfer credit is requested. Remedial, high school-level courses, and courses identified by the transfer institution's catalog as not applicable toward a baccalaureate degree are not accepted for transfer into an undergraduate program. Graduate transfer courses must be equivalent to courses appropriate to degree requirements.

Junior colleges

A maximum total of 70 semester units or 105 quarter units of credit will be accepted from regionally accredited junior colleges. Subject and unit requirements for admission to the respective programs are outlined in Section III.


Credits submitted from a college outside the United States are evaluated on an individual basis by an evaluation center approved by Loma Linda University, which reports the evaluation results directly to the Office of University Admissions. It is the applicant's responsibility to contact an approved evaluation service and supply the required documents for evaluation.

Professional schools

Credits earned in a professional school are accepted only from a school recognized by its regional or national accrediting association and only for a course that is essentially the equivalent of what is offered at this University or is substantially relevant to the curriculum.

Military schools

Credit for studies taken at a military service school is granted to veterans according to recommendations in the Guide of the American Council on Education.

Correspondence/distance course work

Course work taken at a regionally accredited school is ordinarily accepted. Griggs University (formerly Home Study International) is the officially affiliated correspondence school for Loma Linda University.

Unit of credit

Credit is recorded in quarter units. One unit represents a minimum of ten class hours in direct instruction (e.g., lecture) or thirty hours in laboratory practice.


Standard term registration dates are published on the Web at <>. For programs that do not operate on standard term dates, the Registration Portal should be checked for specific registration dates and deadlines per student, since these dates can vary depending on where students are in their program.  Deadlines for courses taught in a condensed or extended format may differ from standard term or program deadlines.  Course-specific deadlines can be found in the course schedule at <>, selecting a course, and clicking on the course reference number (CRN) link.  Posted deadlines for registration on the Web and in the Registration Portal are in effect and binding.

Students register online using their Registration Portal. Registration procedure includes clearing holds, entering classes, and clearing finance.  Upon completion of his or her first registration, the student must obtain an ID card at the University Office of Student Affairs.  All future interactions in the Student Services Center will require presentation of a valid student ID card.

For standard term programs, a late registration period of five business days after the term begins is provided.  If the course is offered as an intensive, it is possible that registration will be required before the end of the five days.  During these five business days for standard term courses, a late registration fee of $200 will be charged.

Students may not attend class without being registered. No credit is granted for academic work performed during any term without registration.

Change in registration

If financial clearance has been obtained and registration is still open for the student's program, a change in registration requires a reversal of financial clearance in the Registration Portal. Students have until 11:59 p.m. PST (Pacific Standard Time) the following day, or until the end of registration—whichever is earlier— to complete registration changes and to request financial clearance again.  If financial clearance is not obtained by the end of the following day, any changes made in the Registration Portal will be reversed. Students are advised of this process via their LLU e-mail account.

A student may add courses that follow the standard term University calendar during the first seven calendar days of the quarter. Courses that follow the standard term University calendar may be dropped during the first fourteen days of the quarter without academic penalty. Standard term course changes after the fourteenth day of the quarter affect the permanent grade record with a "W" grade indicating withdrawal. Students may withdraw from a standard term course prior to fourteen calendar days before the final examination week, after which time withdrawals are no longer permitted.

Study load

Usually an academic study load is defined in terms of credit units. A full undergraduate load is considered to be 12 or more units per quarter; a full graduate load is considered to be 8 units per quarter.

The normal course load, including all course work for which a student may be registered at this or another institution, is 16 quarter units for an undergraduate student and 12 quarter units for a graduate student. Full-time study loads are those specified by the departments for each program. Students of exceptional ability may register for additional course work upon recommendation of the department and consent of the dean.

A person who is not enrolled in regular classes but who is occupied in research, dissertation, or thesis, is classified as a student. By filing an academic load validation form every quarter at registration, the academic load may be validated for loan deferment and for living expenses for aid-eligible students or to maintain immigration status for international students.

The primary faculty mentor who is primarily responsible for the student’s research is required to sign the load validation form (electronic workflow) verifying that the student will be working on his/her research, thesis, or dissertation for a minimum of 18 hours per week (half-time status) or a minimum of 36 hours per week (full-time status).  This is a projection each quarter.  The faculty mentor before signing the load validation form for the current quarter must determine that the student indeed qualified for load validation in the previous quarter.


Regular attendance at all appointments (class, clinic, laboratory, University at Worship) is required beginning with the first day of each term. A pattern of absence, excused and/or unexcused, will be referred to the school's designated academic authority for consideration and action.

Excused absences are defined as follows:

  • Illness, verified by a physician's statement or official statement from Student Health Service submitted to the school's designated academic authority;
  • Participation in an institution-sponsored activity (verified by a written statement from a faculty sponsor);
  • Recognizable emergency approved by the school's designated academic authority.

Tardiness is disruptive, distracting, and inconsistent with professional behavior. Students who arrive after the beginning of class may be counted absent.

Information regarding the school's designated academic authority can be obtained from the office of the dean.

Continuous enrollment

A student who has not enrolled for any classes, or paid the continuous registration fee for courses still in progress from a previous term, will be inactivated at the beginning of the second quarter of nonenrollment, unless s/he is on an approved leave of absence (maximum of four academic quarters, including Summer Quarter). (Example: A student who enrolled for Autumn Quarter but who does not enroll for Winter Quarter will be inactivated at the close of registration [two weeks into the quarter] for the subsequent Spring Quarter).

Inactivated or formally withdrawn students who wish to return to complete their degree program are required to reapply with sufficient time for adequate review of any new transcript credits and advisement of any new program requirements.

The reapplication process also requires the submission of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended since the student last attended this University. Official transcripts from colleges/universities the student attended while enrolled at this University must also be submitted if they were not submitted prior to inactivation.

Students who reapply to a program are subject to the program requirements published in the Catalog in effect at the time of reentry. All graduates are expected to have documented current knowledge in their field of study as of the date of graduation (date on diploma).

Personal leave of absence

A leave of absence is defined as being away from school for the remainder of the quarter, to a maximum of one year, with the intent to return. The appropriate program withdrawal form is an online workflow.  This form is to be approved by the dean or his/her designee prior to the student's departure. Stipulations for re-entry are given to the student in writing. The student should consult the office of the dean of the school in which s/he is enrolled regarding the possibility of maintaining health coverage and continuous registration during the leave period.


To withdraw from a course(s), the student must complete an Add/Drop Registration form. If a student finds it necessary to withdraw from a degree or certificate program, the dean (or his/her designee) must be notified in writing. The student then arranges for formal withdrawal from the program by filing a Program Withdrawal form which is a workflow available on the University Web site. The Program Withdrawal form and/or the Add/Drop Registration form should be completed as soon as possible after the student determines that s/he cannot complete the quarter. These forms must be filed no later than fourteen days prior to the end of the quarter.

Courses dropped during the first two weeks of the term are not included in the student's permanent record.

If a student is discontinuing the entire program, the date the Program Withdrawal form is properly submitted to the Office of University Records will be the date of withdrawal used to calculate tuition refunds. Tuition is refunded according to the practice outlined in the Financial Information section of this CATALOG. Failure to file the Program Withdrawal form may result in avoidable charges to the student's account. The tuition refund policy for off-campus students is listed under the applicable school in Section III of this CATALOG.

Administrative withdrawal

Students who fail to make arrangements for a leave of absence or continuing registration may be administratively withdrawn from school. After one quarter, if the student has not re-enrolled, s/he will be inactivated.

For the purposes of financial aid eligibility, federal regulations governing Title IV HEA program funds require the University to establish a standard of satisfactory academic progress (SAP), and to monitor students' progress toward completion of a degree or certificate. Information relevant to the University's SAP standard is provided below.

Students' academic progress is evaluated at least once annually. For students in programs that are less than one academic year in length, academic progress is evaluated at the end of each enrollment period.

Failure to meet the University's satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standard requirements may result in financial aid suspension. Financial aid will be reinstated only after eligibility is re-established.

The satisfactory academic progress requirements below apply to all University students and are consistently applied, whether or not a student is receiving financial aid.

Evaluation measures

Satisfactory academic progress is evaluated based on three measures: qualitative, quantitative, and maximum time frame.

Qualitative. The qualitative measure specifies the grade point average (G.P.A.) that must be achieved at each evaluation. If the G.P.A. is not an appropriate qualitative measure, a comparable assessment measured against a norm will be used. Calculation of the G.P.A. does not include incompletes (I), withdrawals (W), or transfer courses; however, courses repeated for additional credit (such as seminars and research) will be included. Courses repeated for a better grade will include only the most recent grade in the G.P.A. calculation.

Quantitative. The quantitative measure specifies the pace at which a student should progress through his/her educational program in order to successfully complete a sufficient number of units at a rate that ensures program completion within the maximum time frame. The pace at which a student is progressing is calculated by dividing the cumulative number of units the student has successfully completed by the cumulative number of units the student has attempted. Units (credit hours) transferred from another institution that are accepted toward the student's educational program will be counted as both attempted and completed units.

Maximum time frame. The maximum time frame for an undergraduate program measured in units cannot exceed a period longer than 150 percent of the published length of the program. The maximum time for completion of a master's degree is five years; the maximum time for completion of a doctoral degree is seven years. Calculation of the time frame begins with the term in which the first LLU course applicable toward a degree or certificate is taken.

Program requirements

Undergraduate programs. Undergraduate students must maintain a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 2.0. They must also maintain a cumulative completion rate equal to or exceeding two-thirds (67 percent) of the units attempted. Maximum time for completion of an undergraduate program is a period no longer than 150 percent of the published length of the academic program, as measured in credit hours or in clock hours required and expressed in calendar time.

Graduate programs. Graduate students must maintain a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.0. They must also maintain a cumulative completion rate equal to or greater than two-thirds (67 percent) of the units attempted. For programs with a limited or no research component, the number of units per term needed to complete the program on time will be determined by dividing the total number of units required for completion by the length of the program—expressed in academic quarters (e.g., five years for a master's degree equals twenty academic quarters, etc.). Research-intensive programs will provide information regarding the number of units that must be completed by the midpoint and three-quarters point of the program. Maximum time for completion of a master's degree is five years; maximum time for completion of a doctoral degree is seven years—except in the case of block programs.

Professional practice doctorates. All professional practice doctoral degrees (D.P.T., Pharm.D., D.D.S., M.D.) are block programs requiring students to enroll full time. See specific programs below for SAP policy information.

Doctor of Physical Therapy (entry-level D.P.T.). Students must maintain a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0—with no grade less than C (2.0) in any required course—and must demonstrate satisfactory clinical performance. In addition, they must receive a grade of B or better in AHCJ 510 Human Gross Anatomy (taken during the first quarter of the program). Students must maintain a cumulative completion rate equal to or greater than two-thirds (67 percent) of the units attempted. Students are expected to complete the program in three years; however, if a leave of absence becomes necessary, the maximum allowable time to degree completion is seven years.

Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.). The G.P.A. required for graduation is 2.30. Students must maintain a cumulative completion rate equal to or exceeding two-thirds (67 percent) of the units attempted. In addition, students must hold a valid, nonprobationary intern pharmacist license. Six years is the maximum time allowed to degree completion, which is also the maximum time intern pharmacist licensure is granted by the California State Board of Pharmacy.

Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.). Students must maintain a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0. They must also maintain a cumulative completion rate equal to or exceeding two-thirds (67 percent) of the units attempted. Students are expected to complete the program in four years; however, the maximum allowable time to degree completion is six years.

Doctor of Medicine (M.D.). In order to progress to the next academic year, students must not receive a U (Unsatisfactory) grade in any course. They must also maintain a cumulative completion rate equal to or exceeding two-thirds (67 percent) of the units attempted. Although students are expected to complete the program in four years, they are allowed to complete the first two years (basic sciences) within three years before progressing to the clinical years (third and fourth years of the program). The two clinical years must be completed within three years.

Loss of eligibility for financial aid

On the basis of the SAP evaluation, Title IV HEA program funds may be suspended for any of the following reasons:

  • Student fails to achieve the required G.P.A.
  • Student is not successfully completing his/her education program at the required pace.
  • Student is unable to complete the program within the allotted time frame.

The student is suspended from federal financial aid eligibility only and may not receive additional financial aid funds. However, s/he may continue enrollment at this University either without any financial assistance or, if eligible, with the assistance of private loans. The Financial Aid Office can supply the student with additional information regarding these loans.

Suspension letter

A student who fails to meet the University's satisfactory academic progress standard will be informed in writing by the Financial Aid Office that financial aid has been suspended until such time as the student is again in compliance with SAP guidelines. The letter will include instructions regarding the appeal process.

Appeal process

Students may appeal loss of eligibility for financial aid. Instructions for submitting a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal are available on the Web for students wishing to have their aid reinstated. The appeal must be filed by the deadline specified in the letter of suspension, even if the student believes an error has been made in his/her case. The completed appeal must be submitted to the director of financial aid, who will present it to the SAP Appeals Committee. The Financial Aid Office will notify the student in writing within five business days following the decision by the appeals committee.

The student is required to submit his/her appeal in writing. The appeal must include the following information:

  • A full explanation of the circumstances that led to his/her inability to meet the minimum progress requirements.
  • Supporting documentation verifying the circumstances.
  • A personalized academic plan. With the assistance of his/her academic advisor, the student is expected to explore options available to eliminate the deficiencies; as well as to develop a realistic term-by-term listing of specific courses to be taken towards graduation; and noncourse requirements to be completed (e.g., advancement to candidacy, qualifying examinations, dissertation defense, etc.). This plan is designed to ensure that the student will be able to meet the satisfactory academic progress standard by a specified point in time. The academic plan is signed by the academic advisor, department chair, and school academic dean.

If the appeal is approved, the student will be expected to adhere to the units and courses specified in the academic plan portion of the appeal. The academic plan will be closely monitored by the Financial Aid Office staff. Failure to follow the courses and units outlined may constitute the basis for future denial of financial aid.

The progress of students on an academic plan will be reviewed at the end of one payment period, and then according to the academic plan; but not less frequently than the rest of the institution's population.

Financial aid eligibility reinstatement

A student who has failed to make satisfactory progress but who has appealed financial aid suspension and has had eligibility for aid reinstated is placed on financial aid probation. Clear financial aid eligibility will be regained when s/he is again in compliance with the satisfactory academic progress standard.

The responsibility for meeting graduation requirements rests primarily upon the student. Therefore, students should read and understand the requirements as set forth in this CATALOG and consult carefully with their advisor to plan a sequence of courses each term that fulfills these requirements. A student's program of study is governed by the requirements listed in the University CATALOG at the time of admission; however, when circumstances demand, the University reserves the right to make changes with reference to admission, registration, tuition and fees, attendance, curriculum requirements, conduct, academic standing, candidacy, and graduation.

The undergraduate who plans to graduate must submit an Undergraduate Intent to Graduate form two quarters prior to graduation. The form is available online at <>.

Commencement exercises

The candidate completing requirements in the Spring Quarter is expected to be present at the commencement exercises and receive the diploma in person. Permission for the degree to be conferred in absentia is contingent upon the recommendation of the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled to the provost and can be granted only by the provost. If a candidate has not satisfactorily fulfilled all requirements, the University reserves the right to prohibit participation in commencement exercises.


When the profession is named in the degree title, or when the degree is indicated by the school name, no other designation is included on the official diploma issued to the graduate. When the profession or major is not named in the degree title, the profession or specialization is also indicated on the official diploma.