About the University
Loma Linda University is part of the Seventh-day Adventist system of higher education. In 1905, the University (formerly College of Medical Evangelists) was founded—through a series of divine providences—at Loma Linda, California, by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. The School of Nursing began in 1905. In 1909, the College of Medical Evangelists received its charter as a medical school with the express purpose of preparing physicians who could meet the needs of the whole person. Both schools emphasized the need for healthful living as a part of medical care—a revolutionary concept in 1905.
The University was designated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church as a center for educating health professionals. The original schools—Nursing and Medicine—have been joined by Allied Health Professions, Behavioral Health, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Religion; and the Faculty of Graduate Studies. The curricula of the University are approved by their respective professional organizations. From its small beginnings, the University has achieved widespread recognition, having sent more of its graduates into international service than has any other university. It remains committed to the vision of its founders and is sustained by its close association with the church.
From 1918 to 1962, the University operated within health facilities in two cities: Loma Linda and Los Angeles. In September 1962, all health professional education was consolidated at Loma Linda. In 1967, Loma Linda University Medical Center opened in its new three-tower facility—a landmark cloverleaf structure. The medical center continues on the cutting edge of health care, providing excellent service for patients and expanding educational opportunities for students.
In 1990, the Board of Trustees designated Loma Linda University a health sciences university—part of a complex that includes Loma Linda University Medical Center, faculty practice plans, and affiliated institutions. The University is a leader in the field of health sciences education, research, and service.
The most current campus census figures (Summer 2017) indicate that the core of the combined faculties consists of 1,877 full-time teachers. Part-time and voluntary teachers (1,403—largely clinicians in the professional curricula) bring the total to 3,280. As of Autumn Quarter 2016, 590 students from 74 countries outside the United States are represented in the enrollment of 4,444.
A century of service
Today the original 1905 property is part of an expanding health sciences campus that includes:
- six medical facilities, licensed for approximately 1,076 beds—
- Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC), 1966;
- Loma Linda University Children's Hospital (LLUCH), 1993;
- Loma Linda University Medical Center East Campus Hospital (LLUECH), 2003; licensed under LLUMC as Loma Linda University Community Medical Center (LLUCMC), 1993—formerly known as Loma Linda Community Hospital;
- Loma Linda University Heart and Surgical Hospital (LLUHSH), 2009;
- Loma Linda University Behavioral Medicine Center (LLUBMC)—an acute psychiatric care facility—1991;
- Loma Linda University Medical Center-Murrieta, 2011.
- ten Loma Linda University Health (LLUH) institutes, two LLUH-related research centers, and various school-related research centers (see Learning Resources); and
- Loma Linda University (on campus, distance education, and online degree programs through the Schools of Allied Health Professions, Behavioral Health, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Religion; and the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
|1905||School of Nursing|
|1909||The institution was named College of Medical Evangelists (CME)|
|1922||Department of Dietetics*|
|1937||School of Medical Technology*|
|1941||School of Physical Therapy*|
|1945||Radiologic Technology Program*|
|1948||School of Tropical and Preventive Medicine (reorganized as School of Public Health, 1964)|
|1953||School of Dentistry|
|1954||Graduate School (restructured as Faculty of Graduate Studies, 2005)|
|1958||Dental Hygiene Program|
|1959||Occupational Therapy Program*|
|1963||Medical Records Administration Program*|
|1966||Schools/Programs (see * above) consolidated as the School of Allied Health Professions|
|1967||Loma Linda University campus merges with La Sierra College|
|1968||Loma Linda University Medical Center dedicated|
|1990||Loma Linda and La Sierra campuses become two separate universities|
|1991||Loma Linda University designated a health sciences university|
|1997||Loma Linda University and Medical Center (corporately linked together through Loma Linda University Adventist Health Sciences Center—LLUAHSC)|
|2002||School of Pharmacy|
|2003||School of Science and Technology|
|2007||School of Religion|
|2012||School of Science and Technology closed|
|2012||School of Behavioral Health|
|2015||Corporation name changed from Loma Linda University Adventist Health Sciences Center (LLUAHSC) to Loma Linda University Health (LLUH)|