Communication Sciences — M.S.
Students who have been accepted into the Master of Science degree curriculum in communication sciences and disorders are already recognized as academic achievers.
Expectations for these students are high. Candidates for the master's degree are expected to:
- Meet academic and professional standards of excellence.
- Exhibit the highest quality of work in the classroom, clinic, and as a graduate assistant.
- Demonstrate excellence by following through on all activities, completing all assignments and commitments in the agreed-upon time frame.
- Show initiative and support for volunteer and extracurricular professional/student organizations.
- Exhibit interaction and personal qualities consistent with professionalism.
In addition to courses, degree requirements include:
- Minimum of one quarter in residence as a graduate student.
- Minimum G.P.A. of B (3.0), with no course grade below C (2.0).
- Religion (3 units minimum).
- Completion of the California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST).
|CMSD 511||Graduate Portfolio I||2|
|CMSD 523||Seminar in Early Childhood Language Disorders||3|
|CMSD 525||Seminar in School-Aged Child Language Disorders||3|
|CMSD 554||Swallowing Disorders||3|
|CMSD 567||Clinical Practice in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, Advanced||1|
|CMSD 575||Instrumentation in Speech and Hearing||1|
|CMSD 586||Educational Fieldwork I||1|
|CMSD 596||Medical Fieldwork I||1|
|CMSD 598||Research Methods and Professional Literature in Communication Sciences and Disorders||3|
|CMSD 679||Seminar: Motor Speech Disorders/Augmentative Communication||3|
|CMSD 682||Seminar: Traumatic Brain Injury||3|
|CMSD 684||Seminar: Adult Language Disorders||3|
|CMSD 685||Seminar: Stuttering||3|
|CMSD 688||Seminar: Speech Sound Disorders - Advanced||3|
|CMSD 567, 586, or 5961||Clinical Practice in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, Advanced||1|
|CMSD 512||Graduate Portfolio II||1|
|CMSD 535||Voice Disorders||3|
|CMSD 545||Issues in School Speech-Language Pathology||3|
|CMSD 564||Seminar: Aural Rehabilitation and Cochlear Implants/Hearing Aids||3|
|CMSD 576||Instrumentation II||1|
|CMSD 587||Counseling in Communication Disorders||3|
|CMSD 588||Educational Fieldwork II||8|
|CMSD 597||Medical Fieldwork II||8|
|CMSD 6872||Seminar: Open Seminar||4|
Choose one course
One unit each time seminar is taken
Normal time to complete the program
Two (2) years (7 academic quarters); full-time enrollment required